|Closing Date: ||Thursday, 16 May 2019|
|Salary: ||Competitive Salary|
|Send CV To: ||email@example.com|
Our client is a forward-thinking, leading Criminal and Family Law set with a national reputation for excellence. They are currently seeking a Chambers’ Administrator who will be responsible for ensuring that all facets of the Chambers’ administration are effective and efficient. The Chambers’ Administrator will also have overall responsibility for the Chambers’ business finances, including book-keeping, payroll and submission of accounts to HMRC.
Reporting to: The Chambers’ Management Committee
Hours: Full time, 09:00 to 18:00 (minimum hours required to successfully perform the role; extended hours may include evenings and weekends)
Compliance and Regulatory
- Responsible for ensuring that the correct procedures in relation to compliance, client care, terms and conditions, public access and the BSB Handbook are observed, including the implementation of relevant policies and business systems.
- Respond to complaints and maintaining the complaints file under the instruction of the Chair of the Complaint’s Committee.
- Ensure that Chambers complies with all Equality and Diversity legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Assist Heads of Chambers and the Management Committee in fulfilling their responsibilities to ensure Chambers is properly managed.
- Submission of any required data to the Bar Council.
- Finance, Payroll and Pensions.
- Responsible for the accuracy of the financial records (including annual accounts) and recording of all Chambers’ transactions using Sage software.
- Timely and accurate submission of VAT and Corporation Tax Returns to HMRC
- Invoice members for rent, commission and any other applicable payments
- Payroll, to include the preparation of PAYE and NI submissions
- Preparation of the annual budget
- Ensure compliance with the annual budget
- Liaison with HMRC, the Chambers’ bank, accountants and other external bodies
- Debtor management
- Approval of BACS debits and credits
- Submission of pension payments
- Updating, maintaining and ensuring compliance with Chambers’ financial policies
- Preparing reports and providing information to the Chambers’ Finance Committee.
- Responsible for compliance with all employment legislation
- Management of the recruitment, induction and organisation processes for barristers, staff, pupils and mini-pupils.
- Maintenance of staff personnel records and absence management systems.
- Organisation of appraisals, training and development within Chambers.
- IT and GDPR
- Ensure Chambers’ IT effectively supports the operation of Chambers and its members.
- Responsible for following and complying with policy and procedure in relation to IT security and backup of the Chambers’ servers.
- Management of the contract and relationship with the external IT contractor.
- In conjunction with the external IT contractor, ensure the correct operation of Chambers’ software and hardware.
- Support the IT Committee in software and hardware purchases.
- Resolve minor IT issues (eg. e-mail setup)
- Ensure compliance with GDPR legislation, Bar Council guidance, MoJ and Attorney- General’s requirements regarding IT security.
- Update sections of the Chambers’ website.
- Manage members’ CJSM accounts.
- Pupillage and Mini-Pupillage.
- Administer the Chambers’ Pupillage and Mini-Pupillage systems.
- Draft pupillage adverts and maintenance of Chambers' pupillage portal entry.
- Under the direction of the Pupillage Committee:
- Administer the recruitment exercise(s)
- Administer the interviews (including weekends)
- Conduct the annual induction for new pupils
- Administer the monthly training events
- Manage the monthly pupillage grants
- Register pupillages with the BSB.
Office Services Management and General Administration Support
- Arrange the logistics of barrister room moves and day-to-day building issues.
- Management and negotiation of all contracts with external suppliers.
- Process members’ Practising Certificate, Bar Mutual and ICO renewals.
- Assist the Chambers’ Management, Finance, Pupillage and Marketing Committees in their duties.
- Maintain stationery and beverage supplies.
- Preparation of regular and ad-hoc reports for the Chambers’ Committees.
- Provision of general administrative support to Chambers’ staff and barristers as required, to ensure the smooth running and development of Chambers overall.
- Organisation of CPD accredited lectures and events
- Organisation of Chambers’ dinners and social events.
- Experience of at least 4 years’ administration
- A proactive and self-motivated individual
- Demonstrable ability in the recognition and implementation of changes required under the Code of Conduct of the Bar of England and Wales (the Bar Handbook)
- A high level of personal integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including good spoken and written English
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues, members of Chambers and professional clients
- Calm, patient and flexible approach to work in a very busy environment
- Experience in a role which has involved management of budgets
- Pro-active and solution orientated approach to working and problem solving
- Ability to work unsupervised, prioritise tasks and meet deadlines
- Professional attitude and presentation, especially when representing Chambers externally
- Experience using Microsoft packages, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Good knowledge of the LEX case management system
- Experience of contributing to the production of strategic plans and implementation of business development initiatives.
- Access to a pension scheme (5% contribution by Chambers and 3% contribution by the employee), upon successful passing of the relevant probationary period.
- Access to a travelcard loan scheme, upon successful passing of the relevant probationary period.
- Annual eye test and contribution by Chambers for any eyewear required for VDU work.
ABC Chambers Solutions LLP - 0203 890 8190 3 Waterhouse Square, London EC1N 2SW.
To apply for this role please e-mail a comprehensive CV and cover letter to: