Keating Chambers is a leading set of commercial barristers’ chambers, with a thriving domestic and international practice, comprising 59 barristers (28 Queen’s Counsel and 31 juniors), and 9 international members and honorary associates.
Our barristers specialise in providing their services across the areas of construction and engineering; energy and natural resources; infrastructure and utilities; international arbitration; IT and technology; offshore construction and marine engineering; procurement and competition and associated professional negligence.
An opportunity has arisen for a Practice Manager to join our clerking team.
The Candidate should:
- Be enthusiastic with a positive "can do" attitude.
- Be a team player but be able to work unsupervised and under pressure.
- Have excellent communication skills - both written and oral.
- Be polite, friendly and of smart appearance.
- Be able to demonstrate a positive attitude in challenging circumstances.
- Be trustworthy.
- Have gained at least two ‘A’ levels or equivalent qualifications and/or a Degree.
- Ideally have eight years of clerking experience or similar experience in a commercial role.
The Practice Manager will report to their Senior Practice Manager and share responsibility for a defined group of barristers. The Senior Practice Manager is ultimately responsible for the following duties, and the Practice Manager will work closely with them to cover these in addition to their own responsibilities:
- Development of individual practice development plans and the monitoring of their progress.
- Development of marketing plans for their team of barristers on an individual and group basis.
- Development and coordination of appropriate marketing activities.
General duties include:
- To promote members of Chambers and sell their services to clients and potential clients.
- To attend performance management review meetings with members of Chambers along with the Senior Practice Manager.
- Diary and practice management including the allocation and distribution of new work, booking hearings and conferences, fixing cases with courts, and advising professional clients of counsel’s availability.
- Negotiation and agreement of fees for work done.
- Recording fees and work done on the MLC Diary and fees system.
- Supervision of more junior staff, as required.
- Attendance at Chambers’ and clients’ functions (as required by the CEO/Director of Clerking).
- Assistance in other areas of Chambers’ practice (as directed by the CEO/Director of Clerking).
Start date – immediate
Salary – circa £45/50k per annum
Hours: Chambers runs a shift system
Holiday entitlement - 20 days plus bank holidays (Year 2 – 22 days; Year 3 – 25 days).
Benefits on completion of probationary period include:
Bonus Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Pension, Permanent Health Insurance, Life Insurance and Private Medical Insurance
Closing date for applications is Friday 16th March 2018 at midday. Please send your application form and a covering letter to:
Nicola Humphreys, Keating Chambers, 15 Essex Street, London, WC2R 3AA
Or email: email@example.com
Further details and application form can be found at:
Keating Chambers is fully committed to equality and diversity in both recruitment and the provision of services. The selection procedure is operated without discrimination, that is to say without regard to irrelevant considerations such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, nationality, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, religion or belief, or age. If you are disabled and require any adjustments at any stage, please inform us and we will try to accommodate your needs.