|Closing Date: ||Monday, 14 August 2017|
|Salary: ||Substantial Salary & Benefits Package|
|Send CV To: ||firstname.lastname@example.org|
(Reports to Chambers Director)
The Finance Manager is responsible for both the accountancy and bookkeeping for Blackstone Chambers Limited and for accounting to the 107 (current) members of Chambers for monies received and due to them. A broad range of duties cover the oversight and management of the Chambers bank accounts (including the barristers fees account), Chambers’ bookkeeping, VAT and reconciliations; the production of monthly management accounts and the annual expenditure budget, together with the management of the staff payroll for 33 staff members. Real competency in Sage Line 50, Sage Payroll and Excel is essential while training will be provided, if necessary, in the use of bespoke barrister accounting software (Lex: Bar Squared).
This is a position of trust and a previous length of experience in a barristers’ chambers would be a strong advantage; alternatively experience gained in a firm of solicitors or other professional practice could be a suitable grounding for this role. Chambers is looking for a recruit with a history of sound financial practice who is ready to undertake the challenges both of the central management of Chambers financial resources and also the accounting requirements and assistance required by the self employed barrister members of Chambers. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate highly developed organisational skills and a calm approach to the daily demands of this role.
The Finance manager currently works in a finance team of three, comprising the finance manager, the fees clerk and an assistant. It is anticipated that there will be further recruitment once the Finance manager role has been filled to increase the team to 4 with the inclusion of a junior to assist the finance manager’s role.
Managing the staff payroll – Sage Payroll
- Run Chambers Payroll (33 employees)
- Process Monthly PAYE & NI Payment (P32 etc)
- Complete year end PAYE including P11Ds & P60s
- Manage staff travel loans, staff clothing allowances, Ride to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Auto Enrolment Pension, Group Critical Illness, Group Life Assurance and Group Income Protection. This responsibility includes liaison with Chambers’ staff benefits advisers and careful monitoring of the running of the benefits schemes and the auto enrolment pension arrangements
- Reporting to HMRC using RTI on a monthly basis
- Reporting to HMRC for PAYE Settlement Agreement
Accounting and bookkeeping duties: Sage Accounts
- Prepare and enter all incoming invoices – prepare online payments.
- Prepare annual accounts for audit and liaise with the auditors as necessary.
- Prepare preparatory budget figures for Chambers Director; participate in budget preparation in conjunction with Chambers Director and others; advise Chambers finance committee on issues arising from the budgetary process and enter budget figures on Sage system at beginning of financial year.
- Run petty cash accounts for each barrister and issue bi-monthly petty cash bills. Collect payment via direct debit systems.
- Calculate individual rent payments at beginning of financial year following setting of rent/”service charge” percentage; prepare quarterly service charge invoices for each barrister and collect payments via direct debit systems.
- Prepare quarterly VAT returns for Chambers.
- Perform daily bank check on line and reconcile bank statements weekly and monthly.
- Prepare monthly management accounts for Blackstone Chambers Limited including detailed prepayments and accruals schedules.
- Responsible for Chambers’ petty cash account; authorised to sanction petty cash payments below threshold level (£250).
- Manage payment of monthly pupillage awards.
- Manage/oversee junior tenant loans.
Accounting and bookkeeping duties: Bespoke barrister accounting software
- Prepare monthly management reports based on fee income of all barristers.
- Provide quarterly VAT figures for each barrister, and submit VAT returns as and when requested.
- Prepare and provide information to each barrister regarding individual tax year end figures and when requested liaise with their accountants.
- Manage the process for all barristers payments and ensure accurate records are maintained on bespoke barrister system and Sage 50 Accounts.
- Provide assistance to fees clerk in maintaining records of fees outstanding or being chased.
- Provide aged debt reports to barristers if requested and deal with general barrister queries.
- Manage and oversee Chambers Fees Account and prepare monthly reconciliations.
- Liaise with the Chambers’ fees clerk in the further development of streamlined processes better to utilise the electronic capabilities of reporting and billing through the bespoke accounting software, Lex.
- Generally monitor specialist Bar Standards Board and Bar Council press and information releases for best practice updates. (see 3 below)
Compliance Duties – ongoing development with implementation of increased statutory and regulatory framework in the legal sector
1. Providing support for barristers and clerks in relation to VAT queries and issues arising from fee notes delivered and fees received.
2.Reviewing cases for Anti Money Laundering compliance and providing clear and concise answers to clerks, barristers and solicitors. Offering support on general financial compliance issues and providing in house training to clerks and other staff members in financial/regulatory compliance.
3.Generally, providing an overview of relevant developments in the regulatory financial framework to the Chambers finance committee.
Equal opportunity employer
Blackstone Chambers strives to be an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity amongst its members and staff. We encourage and welcome applications from women, people of minority ethnic origin and people with disabilities as well as candidates from other groups which are underrepresented in the legal sector.
For all enquiries please contact:
ABC Chambers Solutions LLP - 0203 878 8410 1 Fetter Lane, London EC4A 1BR.
To apply for this role please e-mail a comprehensive CV and cover letter to:
email@example.com or contact one of the team for a confidential discussion.